A startup has a better chance of achieving success if it is backed up by brilliant and creative mobile app ideas. This era of technological impressions is all about leveraging mobile apps and digitalization technologies to achieve what can be achieved before. Apps provide an excellent way to know your audience, reach their hearts, be with them at all times, and make better changes in the lives of the common people.
This article will give you information about the trending start-up ideas for a mobile app that will help you filter out the best proposal for your business and add more value to it.
Mobile App Ideas for Startups for iOS and Android platforms
Let’s take a look at some of the unique mobile application ideas which can transform your business if adopted and executed successfully:
1. Grocery Apps – The next household name, maybe!
We all need grocery shopping at least once a month. Mostly, people tend to pick up their stuff in the first ten days of the month. So, an app that can help the user to add products to their cart throughout the month and schedule it for a set date will be gainful and propitious. Also, a grocery app will help retailers to overcome the challenges with ease.
Several grocery apps have already made their way into the market and are already offering a lot of benefits to various users. To stand out, you need to add some USP and make your app stand out from the crowd. Here’s what you can offer:
- No minimum order
- Cashback on every purchase
- Zero-cancellation fee
- Price comparison between stores
2. Social Connect App – One Platform for All Connections
If you are eyeing hitting the social media landscape, networking is the first thing that you need to focus on. It can be one of your next mobile app business ideas leading you to realize your business goals. From bringing audiences from Facebook and Instagram to business networks, such as LinkedIn, your solution should touch bases with all the industry leaders.
Thus, coming up with a single-point app that allows the user to connect on all sorts of platforms is a boon for any startup, especially when the company is more inclined towards customer interaction.
3. Medical App – Offering Sick People Medicine Delivery
The medical field is another significant sector that has witnessed a considerable jump in the number of apps. Right from looking out for local pharmacies to checking out their medical bills, many mobile apps offer all medicine-related mobile services.
Some of the top medical apps available in the app store market include FamilyWize Prescription Discount Card, MedPlus Mart, Medical News & Journals, Hidoc Dr., and more.
And if you are bound to enter the medical industry, you need to pack your app with some added features that are missing from other such apps.
Here are some of the features that you need to include in your app:
- List of nearby pharmacies.
- List of the top doctors in the respective fields.
- Customer medical summary.
- Medical terms listed and their meanings.
- Record all the possible diseases and their symptoms.
4. Student Assistance App – Making School Assignments Easy
In a student assistance app, there can be many features that you can stuff. For instance, an app that can help the students to write projects or essays will be of great help to the students.
Here are some of the examples of top app ideas:
- School project mobile app: A school project app will enable students to look out for group members to complete team projects and other academic projects which require students to collaborate.
- Book stationery app: This kind of app can help students find the nearest stationery shop and even compare the prices of books before heading out. It will save both time and money.
5. Augmented Reality App – Real-World Connections
Augmented Reality has a vast scope and in the case of AR mobile apps, developers have already started to make the most out of it. AR superimposes computer-generated images on top of the view of reality, resulting in a composite view that augments the real world.
AR apps involve virtual showrooms and interactive map overlays for interactive map overlays. If you look at the app stores, iOS has ARKit apps and Amikasa, while Google users can avail of Google Photos, WallaMe, Holo, and a lot more.
Here are the great mobile application ideas that you can implement in your next mobile app:
- Virtual Interior Design App
- Mall navigation app
- Outfit app
- Makeup trial app
6. Food Delivery App to Schedule Delivery for Laters
With apps like Seamless, GrubHub, Doordash, UberEats, and Postmates already making huge strides in the food delivery market, the likelihood of a prospering similar app is quite low. Therefore, you can shift to further innovative food mobile app ideas, like an app allowing the user to order scheduled deliveries, etc. It will save the user time and will provide ample time for the restaurant to prepare food in advance and deliver it at the scheduled time.
Another simple mobile app idea for a food delivery app is to let the user choose all the ingredients and inform the restaurant accordingly so that the user can relish the desired taste.
7. Content Identification App to Make Life Easier
- Music: We all know what Shazam does and it is indeed one of the best music apps. With a single tap, you can know the name of the song playing in your background. So, a similar app with added features might work for you as well.
- Video Streaming Shows: With Netflix and Amazon Prime in the limelight, there are tons of amazing shows that are getting an appreciation for their tremendous work. But sometimes, it’s tough to recollect the show that may be running in a hotel or a mall. In such cases, an app that can identify video streaming shows will be handy for the users.
- Movie: The movies have their charm and humans tend to like movies of a variety of genres. So, an app that can identify movies will also be helpful for the user.
8. Shopping App for Shopaholics!
Shopping is one thing that won’t ever fade away. E-commerce brands like Amazon, eBay, Newegg Mobile, Dosh, etc. are already making a lot of profit through their mobile shopping apps.
Following are some of the future mobile app project ideas that you can consider:
- Budget Shopping App: Most people are looking out for discounts and deals to grab their products, thus working on a shopping app with some twist can be one of the innovative mobile app ideas.
- Brand Shopping App: You also need to cater to that class of people who always shop from branded shops.
- Pet Food App: An app that is dedicated to pet food has a high potential to succeed.
- Collective Shopping App: In most cases, buying a product in one unit is more expensive than buying in bulk. It also happens that many websites offer free delivery after exceeding a certain amount.
9. Maps and Navigation App to Help Those With Faulty Road Sense
Google Maps is one of the best apps to look for navigation. Google Maps is not just limited to maps; it also shows nearby places like ATMs, fuel stations, restaurants, and more, says PageTraffic, one of the top SEO agencies.
- Speed Tracking App: In this app, you can put a limit on a particular speed digit, surpassing it, which can turn off the ignition.
- Parking Business App Idea: It’s a task to find parking in a jam-packed location, so an app that can sort this out will be beneficial for the users. Also, stating the distance and the status of the parking availability will add the desired value to your app.
- Vehicle Live Report: Many of us face the issue of sudden hiccups while driving and this is due to prolonged oversight of the vehicle’s condition. Therefore, an app that can track the vehicle’s health at regular intervals can turn out to be a boon for all vehicle owners.
10. Voice-Activated Gestures App for Added Assistance
In the age of Siri and Google Assistant, we are getting more inclined towards getting the job done through voice commands, which indeed saves you time and effort. An app that primarily works on voice commands will be more useful for the users, especially when the user is driving or multi-tasking.
Just imagine you’re getting the app started through your voice and navigating through various sections without touching your smartphone. Going further, you can also integrate the app with other apps and services, which will let the user lessen their direct interaction with the smartphone.
11. Restaurant Reservation App for Special Date Nights
Going out and getting yourself a table on weekends is simply an arduous task. Some may wish to go for the fine dining and others might opt for rock parties, and if an app can let the user reserve the table well in advance, it will only be excellent.
Currently, many such apps offer similar services, so it would be wise if you launch an app that does more than just book the table. For instance, adding discounts and cashback will benefit the user and add more value to the app. After all, mobile apps are an excellent medium to promote a restaurant.
12. Daily Planner App to Relieve Stress
In this whirlwind world, it’s tough to remember all of your daily tasks and manage all of them at the preferred time. Sometimes, we also miss our meals and medications in between all this juggle.
So, a productivity app that can plan your day will sort all this mess and can save you time in organizing your daily activities right from your first alarm to your last goodbye text to your loved ones. Also, this daily planner app helps to push reminders at regular intervals to set activities that will take off the extra burden from the user.
The following are some of the apps you can refer to:
- Any.do: To-do list: Calendar, Reminders & Planner
- Planner Pro: Personal Organizer
- Microsoft Planner: Plan it out
13. Mobile Banking App
The time for hard cash is long gone, and plastic money and mobile wallets replace it. There are many benefits of giving online transactions an edge over dealing with hard cash. The ease of carrying unlimited amounts of access, accessibility, account tracking, and more, all these benefits add up to encourage mobile banking.
Therefore, investing in such good mobile app startup ideas will be fruitful and can hand you success in no time. Already many apps let you transfer money on the go.
Following are some of the best mobile banking app examples that you can refer to:
- Ally Mobile Banking
- Bank of America Mobile Banking
- Capital One Mobile
- Chase Mobile
Think of mobile app startup ideas that can act as a single POC (point of contact) for all the transactions; be it for mobile bills, rent payments, EMI deposits, or any other type of transaction, everything can be done through this app.
14. Mall/Store Navigation App for Enhanced Shopping Experience
Bumping into a new mall and you don’t know where to head? We understand your annoyance. So, with brands like Walmart, Dollar Tree, IKEA, and Target, you can’t remember all the sections and no one wants to waste their time.
Going by it, you can develop an app that provides navigation to the users of various stores and if the product section can be added to the app, the user is going to appreciate it. Also, listing the product range in the app can be beneficial for the user.
15. Language Learning App to Become the Master of Bilingualism
Many apps offer to teach new languages and even learn particular words of a language. But if business app ideas related to language learning are fiddling in your mind, you can devise an app that interacts with the user in whichever language he wants.
It will help the user with more freedom and confidence while speaking the new language and can also suggest the word pronunciation in a much clearer and better way.
Following are some of the best apps to learn new languages:
16. Travel App to Help Wanderlusters
Traveling is one thing that can’t die and we fully consent to the same. Best travel apps include LoungeBuddy, AirHelp, Hostelworld, Airbnb, Skyscanner, and more. All such apps covering some or more landscapes like Airbnb suggest you the best individual rooms, homestays, and local apartments in the area you wish to visit.
Similarly, the Trail Wallet app is a travel expense tracker, which helps in organizing the expense of a trip.
Following are some of the best innovative mobile app project ideas you can consider:
- Travel Destination Suggestion App
- Travel Guide App
- Travel Tools app
17. Cab Hailing/Comparison App to Relive Sweat
Hiring or booking a cab has become a cakewalk for us; all thanks to apps like Uber and Lyft. With the introduction of such apps, the life of daily commuters has become a breeze and has helped to save a lot of money.
You can hail a cab for going from home to office and even for outstation journeys, you can get a cab to travel.
Therefore, an app that can give you more than just hiring a cab can be quite productive. Features like cab price comparison and passenger safety features can earn you brownie points while developing an app.
18. Cooking Guide App for Homemakers and Smart Moms
Many people have cooking as their favorite hobby and such a hobby getting complimented by an app that can instruct the user with various recipes and ingredients can do wonders. Therefore, investing in one of the best cooking apps will be quite fruitful.
Make sure to add a USP to your app so that it can have its standing. Here are some of the top cooking apps:
- Jamie Oliver’s Recipes
19. Food Management App to Avoid Food Wastage
Presently, many apps deliver food to your doorstep and even offer many discounts and benefits to lure customers. But an app that can notify its users about the surplus food will further benefit the people who can distribute it among the needy or won’t let it go to waste.
Moreover, such business app ideas will help restaurants reduce their excess food waste and deliver it to charity homes and places like orphanages and nursing homes.
20. Deals and Discount App to Help Users Save Money
An app that notifies users of events like Black Friday or nearby deals on the smartphone can be handy for them. They will get a notification when something based on their interest, offers special deals like 50 percent off on the bedsheets and curtains, which of course will interest many.
Going further, the deal could be related to travel, fitness, food, clothing, and more. It will save the user a lot of time, and ultimately, it won’t take a toll on their pockets.
21. Meditation App to Relieve Monday Blues
Make 2020 the year when you find your inner peace! If we look at the statistics of the past few years, there has been a rise in issues related to mental health, and this is where effective meditation apps come into play.
Meditation practices are known to reduce stress and calm people down, making it one of the best top mobile app ideas.
Here are some of the best meditation apps:
- The Mindfulness App
22. Subscription Tracking App to Remember Payments
Right from music app subscriptions to app store subscriptions, there are various platforms where a user is subscribed. Hence, it’s high time that an app should make its way into the market, which can track all the subscriptions and let the user know when the next subscription is due and what amount is required to be deducted.
It will aid the user in a way that he can make up his mind in advance, whether to go on with the subscription or to discontinue it.
23. Music App for the Everyday Hustle
Music is one such field in which there can be many apps related to it. If you are thinking of getting your hands on some of the other music apps, you can ponder over the below-mentioned top mobile app ideas:
- Find a Band Member App: An app that can help you find the band members.
- Playlist App: An app that can let the user create his playlist and also suggest to the user the latest songs playlist.
- Music Share App: It would also be great if there can be a dedicated app that can let the user share his favorite track on the go.
24. Disaster Alert App – Safety Apps (SOS)
Safety apps can play a significant role during the time of the disaster and thus it makes sense to develop a safety app for the people. Interestingly, the safety apps are not limited to disaster only; they can be used to track kids, provide immediate assistance to women, security breach apps, and similar apps.
25. Health/Fitness App to Reduce the Rate of Obesity
With so much hustle and bustle, work and stress are bound to take a toll on our health. It further leads to severe problems like depression and anxiety. To check such issues, a health and fitness mobile app can play a vital role.
Moreover, an app that can track the daily routine of the user, coupled with the meal intake, can offer users a better lifestyle and meal timings.
26. Social Startup App
Social startup’s new mobile application ideas have not been implemented by a ton of businesses yet but have registered numbered successes. For instance, such new mobile application ideas will help restaurants in reducing their food waste by donating food to charity homes or allowing educational institutes to provide underprivileged children with quality education.
Here, different social media platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram will play a vital role in not just spreading awareness but also acting as a platform for budding entrepreneurs to develop unique mobile app ideas.
How to come up with the best mobile app ideas for your business?
Given below are some of the best ways that will help you in coming up with new mobile app ideas for your business in 2020.
1. Try to Find a Solution
One of the simplest ways to conclude is to start by finding a solution for a specific query. Once you initiate the process of identifying the issues faced by a particular set of users, that is when even the best mobile app ideas will start to follow.
So, what will you do? First, find the problems, then begin your research on them and find mobile apps that are meant to solve this problem or something similar to it.
Now, install those applications, try them and see if they provide a solution to those problems or not. If not, then you know what you should start with. This is a common approach that is used by top mobile app development companies for building new applications.
2. Gain More Experience
“The more you work, the more is the experience you gain” is one of the oldest school quotes that is stated by experts in different domains. It means that the more capability you gain, the easier it is to come up with new mobile app ideas to make money, as you can then connect the dots from your various past experiences.
In a popular speech from 2005, Steve Jobs captured the spirit of innovation in these sentences,
“You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backward. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life”.
3. Keep Up With the Latest Trends
In some of our previous articles, we have specifically paid a lot of attention to the importance of following trends, in case you have to check them out yet, there’s one entirely focused on leading mobile app development trends of 2020.
These trends will help you in predicting the upcoming state of your respective industries. A great example of this is the ground-breaking mobile applications that are developed by innovators, who decided not to stick with the traditional technologies.
4. Launch a Free Version of a Famous App
Create mobile apps that are free or serve as the comparatively affordable version of services that already exist. It is an effective way that budding app developers can try. You might have already noticed some free alternative mobile applications for some of the most popular apps that are paid.
Such similar apps target the same set of app users by offering features that are similar to the paid version of the app. The objective here is to provide the audience with similar app functionalities at an affordable price.
5. Opt for a Sector That Lacks Innovation
The next thing you need to remember is, that while you think of ideas to build an app, try to look for domains that are quite popular but lack the innovation factor. A great example of this is the role of augmented reality (AR) in the real-estate sector.
6. Conduct Thorough Market Research
Conducting marketing research will not only help you in exploring the depths of the market but also assist you in gathering potential customers. With your R&D, you can also come up with various mobile app development ideas based on the different needs of users.
You can simply start by interviewing or running a survey among your potential users. Here are some questions that you can begin with:
- What kind of apps do you use to solve your basic problems?
- What do you like and do not like about the app?
- Is there something missing from the app?
- For what kind of queries do you use that application?
How to Go About Your New Mobile App Ideas?
Once you have finalized your amazing app idea, the next thing is to hire a mobile application development expert who can get your work done. Moreover, do not forget to pay attention to marketing. If you do not work towards app marketing, your brilliant app is only going to get lost in the sea of 6000 apps that are released each damn day!
Instead of doing this on your own, you better hire an app marketing company. And to develop your app, you can either hire a developer or outsource your creative mobile app ideas to a team of developers who can build an app for you.